The European Commission’s DG
European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO),
funds relief operations for victims of natural disasters and conflicts outside the European Union.
For humanitarian aid, the Commission works with about 200 operational partners, including United Nation agencies, the Red Cross/Crescent movement and non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
Aid is channelled impartially, straight to victims, regardless of their race, ethnic group, religion, gender, age, nationality or political affiliation.
ECHO is seeking to recruit ONE National Staff to be based in Ankara for the following position.
Programme Assistant – ref. ESB-PA-2017-15
- University degree from a recognized university preferably in Education, or alternatively in International Relation, Political Science, Economics & Development Studies
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in the education sector at national or international level in supporting programme/project, including at least 2 years of experience with an NGO, donor or national/international organisation in the field of humanitarian and development action supporting operations e.g. in the field of project implementation/ management, coordination, monitoring, and/or evaluation;
- Excellent knowledge of Turkish public education system is an asset;
- Extensive knowledge and professional experience in Turkey is mandatory;
- Experience of programming in urban contexts, is an asset;
- Experience of development programming, linking humanitarian relief to development is an asset;
- Good knowledge of Programme Cycle Management (PCM) or experience in project management;
- Good knowledge of the EU humanitarian aid system is an asset;
- Good knowledge of International NGOs, UN Aid agencies and Red Cross Movement;
- Good understanding of Humanitarian Aid principles, policies and standards;
- Ability to travel on regular project monitoring visits or to respond to an emergency in an insecure settings, when needed
- Ability to work in the field with implementing partners and to communicate with beneficiaries;
- Ability to work under pressure, autonomy, initiative, and to set-up priorities;
- Extensive knowledge and professional experience in Turkey is required;
- Holding valid passport to travel outside the country;
- Proficiency in Computer application (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook).
- Proficiency in English and Turkish (written & spoken) is essential;
- Good knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
- The job holder carries out activities to contribute to the delivery of an effective humanitarian response in Turkey. The job holder contributes to assessments, monitoring and evaluations of ECHO funded projects, analyses humanitarian context in the area of coverage and liaise with partners in an advisory capacity, local authority and institutions.
All applicants need to demonstrate the following Criteria:
- Must be a Turkish national or hold a valid residence/work permit or other proof that he/she is eligible to live and work in Turkey;
- Completion of mandatory military service is required for Turkish male applicants;
- Capable of working under pressure in a multitasking position.
Applications MUST comprise of:
- A cover letter setting out briefly the candidate’s motivation and suitability for the position;
- A completed CV in the EC standard format only (EUROPASS CV);
- A copy of education certificate/degree;
- A copy of relevant employment certificates.
The EUROPASS application and detailed Terms of Reference are available on the EU Delegation’s website as of 17th February 2016 http://avrupa.info.tr/eu-delegation/vacancies/echo.html
Only the short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Any form of canvassing, soliciting or influencing will be treated as a disqualification.
ECHO ESB – PA -ToR